Bret Wood's Efforts and Exploits

An updated guide to film and DVD work.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Back to Church?!

Alright... I realize that those who don't know me might be confused about Rapture. Why is the guy who made Psychopathia Sexualis making a short film about a Pentecostal preacher?

Oh ye of little faith.

I don't want to go into a lengthy explanation of the film -- I'm going to post it online in a week or two, so you can see for yourself -- but suffice it to say, it does not offer a conventional view of charismatic religion. It does not make fun of the religion, either. I think it's pretty honest, actually.

However, it does make some observations about that particular denomination... for example, the way fear is used to coerce people to salvation.

And of course... I wrestle with my usual philosophical demon ... and explore the strange ways in which sexual desire manifests itself under the yoke of repression.

Nuff said.

2 Comments:

At 3:53 AM, Blogger Tony Comstock said...

It doesn't seem in any way incongruent to me. But I reserver the right the change my mind once I've seen RAPTURE. ;-)

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger son of sam said...

I can't wait to see Rapture. I keep hearing such good things about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home